fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

The Sentinel - Holly Martin

This book starts with a bang, literally and continues at the same pace. Eve is 17. Her world changes when the coach she is travelling on is involved in a horrific crash. As the coach teeters on the edge of a cliff she watches as her teachers seemingly do the impossible - they pull the coach to safety.

She soon finds out that she is The Sentinel, created to save the world and that all the people she has ever known are her Guardians, pledged to protect her from those who don't want her to fulfil her destiny.

This is the debut novel of Holly and she provided me with a copy of her novel in exchange for an honest review.

This book reminded me of Twilight, despite being nothing like it! For want of a better explanation it seems to have the same `atmosphere' as Stephanie Meyer's series. Yes it is a paranormal young adult romance but that is really where the similarity ends.

Eve is a strong character, accepting almost without question that she is different and that the world is full of beings and creatures that humans are unaware of. She is perhaps a little too accepting, there are very few occasions where she questions what she is being told.

She perhaps has little time to do anything other than accept without too many questions as many attempts are made on her life, interspersed with learning her new powers and responsibilities, and of course falling in love. The love story between Eve and Seth is a core part of the story and a lovely journey as a reader to take. Eve comes across as a genuinely kind girl, whose natural instinct to care for others soon has an effect on her Guardians, who aren't built for human emotions and she soon accepts that it is her destiny to save the world, even if it means dying in the process...

This is the first a series of books and as such sets the scene for the rest of the series but there's plenty of action, love and story development to make it an excellent opener. It is well written, drawing you in from the beginning and I soon found myself on the final few pages, knowing that there wouldn't be an ultimate denouement but eager to find out what would happen. I look forward to the next in the series and seeing what's in store for Eve and her friends.