fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

Season to Taste or How to Eat Your Husband - Natalie Young

I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Lizzie Prain has been married to Jacob for nearly 30 years. Until 3 days ago when she hit him over the head with a spade whilst he was in the garden. Now he's in pieces in the freezer that sits in the shed and Lizzie had to get rid of him, one way or another...

There's a sense of sadness that permeates this novel, together with lonesomeness and a surreal feeling of detachment. All of this mirror's Lizzie's feelings so essentially the book is Lizzie, but is also needed by the reader to understand how she can do the unimaginable.

One of the recurring points Lizzie refers to is that Jacob often commented on her lack of imagination, it was something even her mother had accused her of. Yet Lizzie has the imagination to dispose of Jacob's body in the manner she does. This may be to show Jacob that he was wrong, she is eating his words, literally, or is used by Natalie Young to cast doubt on Jacob's alleged treatment of Lizzie.

I loved the premise of this book and was eager to see how it played out. Whilst I liked the book I didn't love it, though this was by no means any reflection on the author or the book. All the ingredients are there for a great story; interestingly characterised people and an intriguing story line.

This book is not for the squeamish. It is thought provoking, macabre, disquieting and unlike anything I've read before and because of this I'm glad I read it.