fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

Dying for Murder: A Cordi O'Callaghan Mystery - Suzanne F. Kingsmill

I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley, in exchange for an honest review.

The story opens with Cordi O'Callagan seeing her car is being stolen. Despite chasing after the car she fails to catch the culprit and along with loosing her car, she looses valuable research. On the suggestion of her friend Duncan she travels to Spaniel Island, together with her friend Martha. When she gets there she finds that her fellow researchers have secrets to hide. Soon after her arrival a hurricane hits the island. Before Cordi and her fellow researchers can be evacuated Cordi comes across the body of the director of the research station. Soon she finds herself trapped on the island, investigating the murder, and trying to avoid being the next victim.

This is the third installment of the Cordi O' Callaghan series and the first I have read. I didn't feel at a disadvantage though as the other books in the series are only briefly referred to, and are used to give Cordi some 'expertise' in solving murders.

I liked the setting of this book. The closed off, storm swept island added to the atmosphere of being trapped on an island with a murderer.  The biological information, for example, regarding bats, turtles, snakes and birds was interesting and well researched.  Cordi did have the annoying habit of accusing everyone of murder, which seemed to just hamper her investigation, but I think this was a device to through the reader off the scent.

This was an easy, quick read, what I'd class as a gentle paced murder mystery and I'd read others in the series.