fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

A Secret Garden - Katie Fforde

Lorna is in charge of the garden at the country house estate of childhood friend Peter. She loves her job and also happens to love Peter. Peter meanwhile has met and fallen head over heels for Kirstie. Philly ran away from home with her grandfather. Together they live in a rather ramshackle holding, where Philly can raise her plants and Grand can bake his cakes that they sell at the local market. At a dinner party held for Kirstie, Lorna meets Jack and Philly meets Lucian. But as the year goes on and Lorna and Philly work on a newly discovered secret garden it appears that not everything is coming up roses in their relationships.

I always find myself speeding through a Katie Fforde novel. I would have finished A Secret Garden in a day if real life hadn’t got in the way. I was soon wrapped up in the lives and loves of Lorna, Philly and their friends.

As I’ve come to expect there was a mixture of characters. There were the lovely ones, easy to warm to. There were the awkward ones, snobbish ones and down right rude ones. All come together to create an entertaining and warm-hearted tale.

Katie Fforde novels are always great escapism. I don’t care that people fall in love almost immediately, and marry at the drop of a hat. There are some who say that they can be predictable. I like that. Yes real life isn’t always like that but sometimes is nice to escape from reality. In a time where life can be anything but predictable, settling down to read a story where you know there will be a happy ending is sometimes just what you need.

A lovely way to while away a few hours. I’m already looking forward to the next book by Katie Fforde.