fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

White Hunger - Aki Ollikainen

Marja has made the difficult decision to leave her dying husband behind as she sets off with her children. Her aim, to get to St Petersburg, where she believes there will be food. She must do something other than wait for what seems like inevitable death from the famine that has ravaged Finland.

As I read this book I was again left marvelling at the skill of a writer such as Aki Ollikainen to create such a world, and such a moving story in so few words. Words are in short supply in the novella and so are not wasted, each sentence carefully constructed to add a layer to the tale.

It plays as a film in your head as you read it. Colour is stripped bare, the white of the winter snow sapping colour from the surroundings and the people who inhabit it. I envisaged the bleak landscape and treacherous journey of Marja and her children in shades of black, white and grey.

This is not a novel to read if you are looking for warmth, fun, a happy ending. it left me with a lingering sense of sadness. It is bleak, harsh and moving, much like the winter described in its pages. Marja, driven by the need to protect her children, goes through terrible hardship and grief and a reader must be made of stone not to feel for her.

The title is apt. It represents the hunger that drives a woman, and others, to take their families and leave their homes, trudging through dangerous weather, and dangerous times, in the hope of finding little to eat. It also represents the harsh winter of 1867, of the insatiable appetite of the snow to destroy crops and food, and to swallow up unsuspecting travellers when given the chance.

This book is Peirene title no.16 and is part of the Chance Encounter trio of books. The theme of encounters moves throughout this novella, how chance encounters can change the course of a life. I'm keen to read the other books in the Chance Encounters theme and will do so soon.