fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

Coming Up Roses - Rachael Lucas

I received a copy of this book from the publishers and this is my honest review.

Daisy has moved to her parents house, ostensibly house sitting whilst they go travelling on their 'gap year'. Having retrained in horticulture she sets about tackling the overgrown garden. Nursing a broken heart, all she wants to do is tend the flowerbeds and dead head the roses. She isn't there to make friends, especially not with perfectly manicured Elaine who intimidates Daisy no end. However she gets to know Elaine, and her other new friend Jo, establishing roots in the village. The emergence of gorgeous Irishman George and worn at the edges vet Ned also potentially scupper the 'no men' policy she has set in place. Who will be the one to push that rule aside?

This book had been sitting on my TBR for a while so I thought it was high time to read it. A trip overseas beckoned so I popped this into my suitcase and I am glad I did.

The saying 'curling up with a good book' can become a bit of a cliche but that's exactly what you can do with this book, curl up with it and get lost in the pages. It has a lovely warm feel to it. It is the book equivalent of a cuddle. I was easily transported to the village of Steeple St John. I could picture the cottages, allotments, village fetes and nights at Elaine's house, The Old Vicarage. Yes I could see from the outset where the story was headed but I didn't care. I just enjoyed the journey.

I loved the characters in the book, each one could easily be visualised. Daisy is understandably reluctant to create new relationships, romantic or otherwise, given she believes her stay in the village will be temporary. It is heart-warming to see her develop a friendship with George, Elaine and Jo and slowly fall in love with the village. Elaine is obviously not as unruffled as she appears and Jo's down to earth, counselor persona lends a balance to the group of friends.

This is the first book by Rachael Lucas I have read and won't be the last. I love her writing style and will be on the look out for more books from her in the future.

If you are looking for a sweet romantic comedy with a lovely setting and fantastic characters then this is the book for you.