fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

No Other Darkness: A Detective Inspector Marnie Rome Mystery - Sarah Hilary

4.5 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the author and this is my honest opinion of the book.Two little boys. Scared. Alone. Trapped in an underground bunker. Aware somehow that no one is coming to help them. Five years later their underground tomb is found and it's horrors unearthed. Marnie Rome and her team are on the hunt for the truth. Who are the boys? Who put them in the bunker? And why haven't they been reported as missing?

The first four pages of this book set the tone for the rest of the novel. Dark, emotionally challenging, unnerving, rage inducing and moving. In just a few hundred words Sarah Hilary draws the reader in, willing Rome to find out what happened to those boys all those years ago.

No Other Darkness has all the elements of Someone Else's Skin that I loved. Rome and her team are fantastic characters, each one has their role in the story, none steal unnecessary page space and it was a joy to see their characters develop. In particular I loved seeing more of the relationship between Rome and Ed and Noah Jake and his brother Sol. Further details of Marne's past were revealed, rounding out her character and the running story arc Stephen Keele and Marnie's parents is slowly developing.

It is always hard to write a review that says something without giving the game away. The same goes here, even more so in that this is novel is so original in its content. No Other Darkness deals with a topic that I have not seen in crime fiction before. It is necessarily shocking but never dealt with gratuitously. It will move you, dealing with a little known and difficult topic with care and respect and turning the idea of right and wrong on its head.

Sarah Hilary is fast becoming one of my favourite crime authors. Her books are joining those by Jonathan Kellerman and Donna Leon as ones where the wait for the next seems interminable and is always eagerly anticipated. With Someone Else's Skin she set out her stall as a rising star in crime fiction. With No Other Darkness she firmly fixes herself in the crime writing firmament.

I absolutely adored Someone Else's Skin and was worried when I started No Other Darkness that it wouldn't live up to my high expectations. I needn't have worried. No Other Darkness is an outstanding novel. If you love crime novels you will love this. If you don't, try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Now comes the hard part. Having to wait for book three....