fromfirstpagetolast

fromfirstpagetolast

A Dark and Twisted Tide - Sharon Bolton

I received a copy of this book from the publishers and this is my honest opinion of the book.

Having still to come to terms with what happened to her in the last year or so Lacey Flint has said goodbye to her beloved CID and taken a job back in uniform with the Marine Unit. Having moved out of her flat and into a houseboat she has bought from her next door neighbour, she has taken to life on and in the water. She regularly goes swimming in the Thames with her neighbour, Ray. But even this simpler life cannot hide Lacey from murder. On one morning, whilst swimming alone she comes across a body and is soon drawn into another dark murder hunt.

Having read the first three books in the Lacey Flint series back to back I had no choice but to dive right into this one, the latest instalment from Sharon Bolton. And dive straight in I did. Having picked up the book it seemed like no time had passed but I soon found myself half way through this gripping read.

Again this has all I have come to expect from a Sharon Bolton book. It is dark, with an underlying sense of foreboding that one wants with a gritty murder mystery. The characters I have come to love are all present and correct, with the story focussing more on Dana Tulloch in this novel, showing more of her personal side and developing her as a character. This is something I personally enjoy as a lead character can only be enhanced by a great surrounding cast.

Lacey has changed in some respects. She is not as gung-ho as she may have perhaps been before, but this would be an accurate representation of how she deals with the horrors of her past. She still goes off on her own investigations but also shows more reliance on others, her friend Ray for example. In fact she seems to be allowing some of the wall she has built around herself to crumble, making friends being one aspect of this. She has also come to accept her feelings for Mark Joesbury and be willing to give into to those feelings. Which would be wonderful except he has gone missing, and with a cloud over his head. Whilst dealing with this she also has to accept that someone is stalking her, wanting her find the bodies that are appearing from the river, and has to deal again with the fact that she is being drawn into danger.

In my opinion this is the best Lacey Flint book to date. It has it all, a great host of characters, a fascinating and enthralling storyline and enough red herrings and twists that are necessary to make a good thriller. I'm left feeling a little bereft that I now have to wait for the next in the series and can only hope that wait is short.